by Chris Durst Nov. 20, 2017
The U.S. Census Bureau has posted jobs for “Field Representatives” across the country. They don’t indicate when the positions will begin, but it couldn’t hurt to get your application in now.
While you will be doing some of your record-keeping from your home office, these positions do require local travel (reimbursed).
Pay ranges vary slightly from state to state, but they all seem to pay a minimum of at least $14.07/hour.
Here’s what they have to say about the openings:
Census Bureau Regional Offices conduct continuous surveys—other than the once-a-decade population count—to supply the nation with important statistics on people, places and our economy. Our Regional Offices are responsible for hiring and supervising these field workers. The local field workers know their communities best, and are the instrumental in conducting surveys with residents on a variety of topics. Field interviewers work out of their home and are reimbursed for mileage. Make an impact for your community and join our team today!
Excepted service appointments may be temporary or permanent based on the work needs of this position.
If hired on a temporary appointment with a not-to-exceed (NTE) date, you are not entitled to the following: paid holidays, within grade increases, and promotions. You may be eligible for health benefits. This position may become permanent without further competition.
In limited areas, this position may have a language requirement. Indicate clearly on your application/resume the language(s) that you speak, read, and write fluently. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
This position has a mixed-tour work schedule. A mixed-tour work schedule provides for periods of full-time, part-time, and/or intermittent work to accommodate fluctuating workloads. The candidate(s) selected for this position must sign an agreement outlining the conditions of employment prior to appointment.
RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE PAID
- Interviews respondents to collect survey or census data as required for current, on-going surveys, one-time surveys, and special censuses.
- The incumbent is responsible for communicating with respondents, supervisors, and other persons as appropriate.
- Reads survey materials and conducts door-to-door surveys. Explains the purpose of the survey, asks questions as worded on the questionnaire or survey instrument, and enters accurate and complete information into a laptop computer or onto survey forms.
- The incumbent may occasionally be required to lift boxes of survey materials or laptops weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Maintains personal payroll records that reflect hours worked, miles driven, and reimbursements for travel and communications claimed.
GS-03: Six months of general experience or one year above high school. General experience is progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of a Field Representative.
GS -04: One year of general experience or two years above high school. General experience is progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of a Field Representative.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1) Must be willing to work days, evenings, and weekends.
2) Must have use of an automobile, valid driver’s license.
3) Must have access to a landline.
4) Must be willing to travel overnight for work assignments, training, etc.
- Applicants must take and pass a written basic skills test after which a mock interview and structured job interview will be administered.
- Eligible candidates will be ranked based on the score they receive on the mock interview and structured job interview plus any Veterans’ preference entitlements.
- All resumes or applications will remain active for two years.
- There is no expiration date for the Mock Interview and Structured Job Interview test scores, provided a current application is kept on file.
Click here and select your state from the drop-down menu full details (this will open a NEW WINDOW in your browser). Then, click on the words “Field Representative” to see more details and on the “Download Recruitment Bulletin [PDF – <1.0 MB]” link on the right side of that page for the full description.
PLEASE SHARE this post – turn your friends into Rat Race Rebels!