By Mike Haaren – Rat Race Rebellion Co-Founder – Oct. 25, 2018
Work from Your Smartphone, No Computer Needed – Entry-level position, no college required – Training provided – Reported avg. pay $14/hr., but may vary – Nationwide
Appen has hired many RRRebels, and just hired Jo Lee, one of our FB members, as a Social Media Evaluator. (She posted to our page Oct. 19.) They’re looking for more part-time people to check social media, online ads and search results. Training provided.
“Social Media Evaluator positions are flexible, part-time and only require between 1 and 4 hours a day with your choice of 5 to 7 days a week up to 20 hours a week,” the company says.
What’s the Pay?
Pay isn’t mentioned, but Glassdoor reports, “The typical salary is $14/hr., based upon 146 Appen Social Media Evaluator salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods.” Our Facebook members report everything from $8 to $15/hr. Appen has also said that “compensation is based on the project.” The pay rate appears to fluctuate based on the need for — and perhaps location of — workers. That’s our guess, not official. So “your mileage may vary.”
What You’d Be Doing
According to online feedback, the social media work involves reviewing Facebook’s newsfeed posts. (Appen mentions Instagram, too.) You’d be deciding if they’re relevant, rating them, and gathering related data. The ads and search results work is for “the world’s top Internet search engine companies…” You’ll log in via Appen’s proprietary tool and enter your input on whether information is relevant and effective.
Here’s the job in their words:
Do you love social media and want to influence how we interact with technology? As a Social Media Evaluator with Appen you have the opportunity to provide feedback on news feeds, advertisements and search results. Your ideas have a direct impact on the services and content from social media sites that we use every single day.
You Might Fit This Role If:
• You are looking for a flexible work opportunity where you contribute to projects and grow your skills
• You are an active and engaged user on social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram
• You enjoy working independently
• You want to do internet-based work from home
• Social Media Evaluator positions are part-time (up to 20 hours per week) and highly flexible
• The usual position requires 1-4 hours of work per day, 5-7 days a week
• Currently living in and legally permitted to work in the United States
• Access to a computer with a sound card and speakers, and/ or access to a smart phone that is less than three years old
• Access to a secure high speed internet connection and quiet non-public workspace
• Good English writing skills
• Ability to work with applications, troubleshoot software, and execute instructions independently
Employee reviews on Glassdoor give Appen 3.3 stars out of 5. These jobs depend largely on workflow, so they may or may not last long. You’ll probably want to treat them as extra-cash temp gigs. Contractors have also said that layoffs can occur when the company wants to hire people at a lower rate. If so, one more reason to consider the gig temporary!
To go to the job listing, click here. Appen has a lot of different jobs open, and it can take a while for them to reply to applications, so don’t despair! For more jobs like these, check our Newest Jobs & Gigs page. To be the first to hear about jobs like these, like our Facebook page. Good luck in your side gig plans!
PLEASE SHARE this post – turn your friends into Rat Race Rebels!